Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wollongong Comedy Festival.

I went down to Wollongong or more accurately the Thirroul Beach Hotel last night for their Open Mic Comp and ended up being in the same heat as Mick Meredith. Mick is a great comic who has been doing comedy for 20 years so it was surprising to see him there.

The night was about to start and there was only a crowd of about 15 people and then the MC went on and about 15 more appeared so it wasn’t dead but it was probably a bit emptier than they had hoped for. Anyways Mick went on first and his opening joke was a bit flat so he calls it and says “Tough crowd” which got a bit of laughter. The rest of his set was decent but he’d do these long protracted “faaaaarks” and then at about 5 minutes said “Fark this, I’m outta here” and left via the back door. It was pretty stylish.

Seeing as last night was the Cracker Gala at the Enmore, I guess he may have felt slightly displaced. I was on third and did pretty well. Had some banter going with a chick in the front row which was nice and had solid laughs all through the set so I'm not too displeased.

Keasty was on after me and was the last on the night. He has a patter and a genuine rapport I'm yet to develop because of my lack of MC time and he ended up winning.

Anyways, today at lunch I got a call from the organisers to ask if I wanted to come down to compete again. I told him I couldn’t make it as I don’t drive but he said that they’d try to get me down there to watch one of their gala nights or perhaps another gig later. Even if he didn’t mean it and nothing comes of it, it was still nice of him to say and I’ll take the little victories.

Go Ray. Causing one ripple at a time in this tidal wave of comedic greatness.

1 comment:

Melina said...

hey, well done ray!
you're one step closer to conquering the world of hoo-ha :o)

veriword: oppedne