Saturday, March 14, 2009

Smart Casual Support Gig

So I got through my 4th night of comedy with flying colours. Marissa and her parents came along so there was added pressure but I think they enjoyed it. It was a pretty surreal night. It was at the Roxbury and it was the downstairs stage which I was at last October here. My mate Michael asked if I wanted to be a part of it and I thought that's a pretty good offer so why not. It was a fund raiser for fellow comics Julia Clark and Smart Casual, the latter happen to be a musical comedy duo who got through to the national finals of Raw last year and are quite funny understandably.

Julia was MC and did a stellar job considering the upstairs noise. Fukn drunks. I went first and did well, I perhaps punned to much but what can you do? Not pun as much. Good suggestion and I'll carry on.

Anyways, for a night of comedy, only Michael and I were straight stand up acts. The rest was a smorgasboard of comedy which was quite excellent really. To close the first bit was Drew Fairleigh, an interpretative dancer who likes the Eagles, Carnovale & Culp who are bizarre good and Smart Casual who were impressive as always. What I enjoyed about their act last night is they have a funny and straight man persona, much like the Blues Brothers in Jake and Elwood I guess but last night the straight man in Ben torched Nick. It was an awesome if somewhat unintentional reversal.

Fuck...I've just read all that crap. What a lot of self indulgent tripe. Better hit publish...

As a bonus here's Smart Casual's Raw National Final gig from last year.

No comments: