Friday, November 28, 2008

People who place too much importace on mundane tasks piss me off.

I went to get a slurpie that looked a little like this today.



A guy and his female colleague were in front of me pouring themselves a slurpie when he decided he'd change flavours from cola to raspberry. There was some liquid build up in the raspberry slurpie and so he pulled the little ring pull thing located to the bottom left of the machine and some translucent raspberry flavoured liquid poured out before running solid. He then kept on pouring and it was good.

His colleague lost her shit though and exclaimed "What are you doing?"
He said "I'm getting rid of the melted slurpie juice from the machine"
She replied "How do you even know stuff like that?"
He smirked and said "I just do" like he'd created the large hadron collider or something equally cool.

It's a freakin ring pull on a slurpie machine you clown. It does not hide any universal truth nor take years of zen mastery to discover. You either pull it or you don't. (Many of my Saturday mornings are like that)

It reminds me of a time long ago when I worked at the bank. This Forrest Gump type character would wander across and do the banking for the local fruit and veg shop. He would go to lengths to tell us that he liked doing the banking because he got to experience real life and how the shop girls were missing out, when the reality was he was a simpleton who had to walk across town because someone had trusted him with their loose change.

I guess soon we'll hear people putting importance on trees for their ability to help with this supposed global warming we're facing.

No comments: