Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gig Review - Roxbury Semi Finals

Well the big gig has come and gone. It was an audience vote and I didn't get through but it was a strong gig. One of my mates taped it so I'll throw it up here once I get it. I had the odds stacked against me as I didn't bring enough friends (oops) and I drew the last spot of the night out of 12 comics and there's nothing worse than sitting in the corner waiting for your turn for 3 hours. If you've never auditioned or tried out for anything in your life you probably have no idea what it feels like so just imagine asking the object of your desire out, man, woman or animal and having that feeling in your gut for 3 straight hours. It's enough to make you hurl. Usually I'm quite good with nerves but I was a wreck last night.

Anyways, they split it 7 and 5. The first 7 were solid if not spectacular. Some good material and a decent range of topics and delivery but the nerves were on display.

The break came and the second half started at 9:50pm. The next worst thing about being in the second half was watching people fill out voting slips during the break for their mate and then walk off. I guess you can't expect too much out of a crowd that doesn't support comedy on a weekly basis but it would've been nice to have been able to play to a packed house. In my bracket were some comics I gig with on a regular basis as well as a kid called Jordan Paris. Check out his website here. Need I say anything more?

Anyways, the night rolled on. James a fantastic young comic came on and lifted the bar after Jordan. You have to hear his kestrel joke which I could not do justice to here. Hannah followed and had the joke of the night with her friendly fisting bit and suddenly the second last act Billy was on. Billy was easy to follow. He's very slick, has great delivery and some very solid lines as well as being a top bloke. I slept with him just the once, but that's another story.

My 6 minutes came and went in a flash. Had some ad-lib thrown in there for good measure but at the end of the day it wasn't enough and I didn't get through. I had a lot of congrats after the show which was nice but it's always tough when facing a competition crowd. Ah well, always next year or Raw or one of countless other competitions that I can lose all hope in just around the corner. Just you wait Sydney, I'm going to be someone!

No comments: