Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Comedy Wrap Up - Raw and other Stuff.

It’s been a big week in comedy for me. Last week I had three gigs which varied in success for me. The first was all new material so I stood on stage with a list and read them out one by one until people laughed. Not too professional I know, but it was effective as I found out what was ok and used it the next night at a slightly funnier gig.

On Friday afternoon I received a call from my Comedy Teacher asking me to help him with a show idea on Sunday. Excited I said yes. That night, I went to gig in the city and lost any confidence and sense of self worth I once had. It was a horrible gig where the MC rode the night into the ground with his complete lack of people skills and personality. He’s meant to have been a professional comedian at one stage but I highly doubt it as listening to him is like going back to the 80’s (as he still thinks Michael Jackson jokes are relevant) and speaking to a child whose observations and puerile and obvious to the extent of stupidity.

What’s more one of my mates tried to bring his Mrs along to watch him perform. Instead of offering a comp ticket to an empty theatre he tried to make her pay. The logic is there, I guess, but the people skills and business sense is not. When it was my turn the audience were fatigued, bored and drunk and I ended up mocking them which I don’t like but who cares?

Sunday was interesting. I rocked up and I had to basically do my comedy course from 18 months ago all over again. It’s a good mix of people and they’re all quite witty which makes for good TV fodder. It’s for a reality show based on the course with the conclusion being the graduation gig in a couple of weeks. Week 2 films this Sunday and I’m looking forward to it, if anything to hear what sort of fuct up things the gang has written down.

Monday was my Raw Comedy Heat. I got there at 7:30 and it was kind of manic and disorganised. Billy, who I went to Canberra with last year, tried to get on but couldn’t and Amanda, my friend who was at the Roxbury finals last year was on the list but wasn’t there because she’s actually on next week. Commonsense would dictate subbing one out and subbing the other one in but on Monday it didn’t prevail so Billy may miss Raw this year. Anyways, Cameron Knight was MC and is good enough to keep the night going without taking too much of the limelight. I was on second and I was thankful that I wasn’t on later as it was a hella long night with 16 comics on the bill all up. Having the impending knowledge that you are going to perform rushing around your head for 3 hours is not a good space to be in so I pity the kids who were on in the last bracket.

As for my set, it was quite solid. Some of my newer stuff didn’t land as cleanly as I would’ve liked but I was happy, especially with a new joke about a girl crying which was perhaps the strongest part of my set. After the gig the amount of people who came up to me and said I done good was overwhelming. I got some great feedback and congratulations from some established comedians and that was the icing on the cake. The night ended finally and Rodney, a guy in my bracket won and I got an honourable mention. The judges later told me that it was extremely close so you can’t get better than that can you? Yeah you can, you could win it but ah well. Anyways, I’m pretty sure I go onto one of the state semi finals but I’m not sure. Cross your fingers for me world, I’m going to make it after all!

No comments: