Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vivid

It's a bit late but here's a quick Vivid photo gallery.

It was produced by Brian Eno of U2 managerial fame and went for about 2 weeks. It had lights and stuff and was quite visually stimulating. Here's some of the stuff we saw.



First up was a merchandise tent. Hooray, let's buy merchandise for a free installation. Well sign me up and call me Mr Vivid! I'm going to be the envy of my friends with my Vivid t-shirt. I'll surely be the talk of the office with my Vivid Mug. I'll stare at the majesty of my Vivid program and then finally weep into the stifled loneliness of my cheap souvenirs.



This is just the flags at Circular Quay. They looked kinda cool.



Here's the cube installation just outside Circular Quay Station. The curious/whimsical of us out there would view these as block lights of joy designed to tap into our imaginations. They are not meant to interact with their surroundings but in fact they are meant to force us to interact with them.

The cynical amongst us would argue that we are that starved of culture that we fawn over the mundane. Light draped in coloured perspex counts as art? Hardly. Are we that desperate for artistic nutrition that we would pose awkwardly amongst the cubes of light and revel in the ambient noise of the ignorant?



Yes. It would seem that we would.



Peek-A-Boo! When you drop your pretences it's kinda fun.



And now you're looking a little creepy.



But it's ok, we <3 light.



Until this. This is just a jumble of neon. I demand blood.



And I got it. It looks like someone had their monthly on the Opera House. Very nice.

Realy it was quite a good idea. It got people out and about and talking about free/street art which is a good generator for art and creativity. My one criticism is that the light blocks had the most curious odour. They smelt like a salty body smell; a bit like soy sauce mixed with sweaty feet. It was hideous. I'd definitely deodourise for next time or just use some Dr Scholl. That shiz was hella nasty.

No comments: